Advanced Micro Devices(AMD)
AMD’s main products include microprocessors, motherboard chipsets, embedded processors and graphics processors forservers, workstations and personal computers, and embedded systems applications.
AMD is the second-largest supplier and only significant rival to Intel in the market for x86-based microprocessors. Since acquiring ATI in 2006, AMD and its competitor Nvidia have dominated the discrete Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) market.
AMD Graphic Processing Unit
Radeon is a brand of computer products, including graphics processing units, random-access memory, RAM disk software, and solid-state drives, produced by Radeon Technologies Group (formerly AMD Vision), a division of Advanced Micro Devices.
Advantages of AMD processor
- AMD processors are cheap.since the launch of skylark things have been different for AMD, Intel rocketed past AMD with i3 and i5.
- But AMD changed the game with RYZEN it’s more powerful than i7 6900k by 2%.
- Its Sense MI features give it edge over intel’s offerings.The RYZEN CPU’s range from Quad-Core to Deca-Core.
Why people prefer AMD processor?
- The AMD Bulldozer uses clustered multi-threading, where pairs of cores share some resources.
- Made good sense at the time, as the AMD chips are derived from a server architecture (Opteron), where there are lots of concurrent tasks to be handled at a steady rate.
- The original 64-bit AMD chips carried over a lot of good server design decisions from the DEC Alpha 21164 CPU … which was at the time one of the fastest things out there, and a favorite in HPC and Defence applications.
- Thanks to the server heritage, pretty much all of the AMD “desktop” processors can run with ECC RAM as well.